Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Whole Wheat Muffins


Today was a busy day.  They all are.  Every single one.  But then, considering the alternative, I would much rather be busy than not.  So, this evening, as I stood in the kitchen, with spaghetti simmering on the stove, I realized I was out of a good tasting loaf of bread.  At times this can be a problem.  Had I had lettuce on hand, and could have made a yummy salad, all would have been well.  But, alas!  No lettuce.  Now I don't consume much bread as a rule.  I would love to.  I love everything about homemade bread.  The feeling of kneading it....watching in anticipation as it rises.....the smell of it baking.....the hot bread from the oven, almost to hot to touch, with the butter quickly melting on the thick slice of the heel which I have cut....the comfort and satisfaction it brings as I chew....the saltiness....the joy of sharing.....All of these things bring great pleasure.  But I limit my consumption, because I like my clothes to fit!  Sigh.  This was never a problem before that fateful year of turning 35.  So back to the kitchen....the spaghetti is nearing completion, and I had no bread.  Or salad.  And a little something with spaghetti is just, so nice.  My mind had already been taking inventory of my cookbooks, and I knew just the one to help in this pinch.  It's a simple, down-to-earth cookbook.  Very much in the line of family meals.  Yet in it's humble pages, I have found many treasures through the years.  (This is a cookbook from the church my Mom grew up in-The Old German Baptist Church.  My cover is lost from many years of use, so unfortunately, I cannot offer the name.)  I grab my glasses, and gratefully sink to the floor as I peruse its pages.  And there it was.  The perfect recipe.  Why had I never noticed it before?  Whole wheat muffins.  So simple.  From start to finish, 25 minutes.  Perfect.

4 T. vegetable oil -- I used coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups unsifted whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp.baking powder

Mix first 4 ingredients together.  Add flour with salt and baking powder in it.  Bake at 400.  Makes 12-14 muffins. (It gives no time! I think I gave it 14 minutes. Just keep and eye on them)

That's it!  So easy.  If I were aiming for a breakfast or a snack muffin, I would add nuts (roasted first) and dried fruit.  And being I have a 20 lb bag of sprouted spelt flour in my freezer, I will probably make it using the spelt next time.  Which could be tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment