Monday, October 28, 2013

Musings From a Grateful Heart...

I had a chance this weekend to spend some time with friends, good friends.  It got me thinking, I wonder if these folks have any earthly idea how much it means to me, this time I get to spend as a member of their family?

How, exactly, does a person ever express what it does to the heart to sit around the dinner table with people that one loves, sharing slices of one another's lives, right along with the butter and the salt?  To be included in the family soccer game or Duck Dynasty session?  To wander the woods under the supremely confident guidance of a nine-year-old woodsman, safe in the protection of his trusty bow and arrow?  To receive an equal share of the good-night hugs?  To savor a certain relaxed camaraderie, accompanied by good coffee, good music and good conversation, with people that one is proud to call friends?

I know, I'm Carrie the confident (cocky?), the smart and self-assured, always-together one, the "go-to" girl.  And yet, that face that the world sees doesn't necessarily reveal the time spent on the knees, the tears that wet the pillow from time to time.  The cool exterior doesn't always show the soul that is so deeply moved and touched by kindness, by joy and sunshine, and a smile that shines straight out of a genuine heart.  And, so, here are all of these many wonderful folks who have made a difference, a big, big difference, and who probably have absolutely no idea of the impact they've made.

I guess, what I'm saying is, how can I say thanks?  I've thought about it; I really can only think of one worthy response, and that is to take the supreme gifts that I have been given, and to pay them forward.  To extend the hand of fellowship at every opportunity; to never miss a chance to shed a little "sparkle" whenever and wherever I can; to shine a light into every single dark corner I find.  And though I may never know whether I've made a difference or not, it really doesn't matter.  I've experienced first-hand exactly what God can do with all of those countless, nameless little things shared by those who love Him, and so I am supremely satisfied in giving my life to doing the same.  It's like the song my mom used to sing:

Brighten the corner where you are...someone far from harbor you may guide across the bar...brighten the corner where you are!

Here's to brightening my corner...

Oh, and to all...thank you.


1 comment: