Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Blessings


The Lord bless thee, and keep thee.  The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee.  The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

- Numbers 6:24-26


These words came to mind this morning and kind of got stuck there.  It got me thinking about us human beings and the way we articulate affection and good wishes to one another. I thought about all of the different expressions of love or friendship or admiration that we say to one another: "I love you"... "How ya doin?"... "Have a good one"... "Take care"... "You're amazing"... We say these things all the time, sometimes flippantly and sometimes thoughtfully.

I thought then about what I'd pick if I were to pick the one thing I could hear that would mean more than anything else, what would set my world aglow, and drop like a treasure down into my heart.

I couldn't think of a single thing that could improve upon these words that the Lord himself spoke to Moses.  What could possibly be better than looking one whom you love in the eye, and with the full weight and power of Almighty God backing up every word, speak from a sincere heart this simple yet utterly all-encompassing blessing?    

So this morning, I'd like to send out these words to all of my loved ones, the obvious ones and the not-so-obvious ones, from the depths of a full heart:

The Lord bless you and keep you.  The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you each and every day.  The Lord look upon you, wherever you are, whatever you need, and may our great God give you peace.

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment