Sunday, August 11, 2013

Knocking around L.A.

I'd like to begin this post by giving a shout-out to Starwood Hotels.  I don't know how they do it, but the beds at the Westin and the Sheraton are so dang comfortable.  (I got a great night's sleep last night, in case you were wondering.)

The day began in a pretty relaxed fashion; not being in any particular hurry, I ended up leaving the hotel around 10.  (I would have left earlier, but I wandered around the parking garage for probably 10 minutes looking for my car.  I hate my scatter-brained reputation.  Doing things like this doesn't help it.)


My first stop was the Grand Central Market, known as the city's largest and oldest public market, located right in the heart of historic downtown L.A.  I think it would be safe to say that the market's primary focus is the local Hispanic community; the place is full of produce stalls, meat and fish stalls, whole stalls devoted to candy and sweets, herbs and spices, liquor (and other vices), and lots and lots of ethnic food.  For a food junkie like me, wandering around and poking my nose into everything was sheer hog heaven.  






I picked up some dulce de calabaza (basically a candied squash meant to be eaten as a treat or snack) for a buck.  Then, I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, so I figured I'd go for something more substantial.  I stopped at a food stand where I could barely translate the menu offerings (a good sign; Americanized ethnic food is rarely worth bothering with).  I ordered horchata, a milky cinnamon drink ladled from a huge jar over ice, and a pupusa, which is a sort of corn tortilla stuffed with pork, cheese and beans, griddled, and served with an incredibly delicious cabbage slaw (seasoned with Mexican oregano and mustard seeds).  I bellied-up to the counter along with a few elderly Hispanic couples and happily chowed down (though the beef soup, chock full of vegetables and topped with chopped fresh cilantro, onion and lime that the couple across from me was eating looked pretty tempting).  While I ate, I was able to watch the ladies behind the counter slapping pupusas together with that amazing dexterity and rhythm that comes from being an expert in what you do.




That's the squash candy


After eating,  I finished exploring the market, and then, having some time on my hands, decided to explore a bit farther.  (I really didn't have a clue exactly what part of L.A. I was in; it wasn't until later that I understood I was in the historic district.)  I wandered into the International House of Music. What a cool place!  Chock full of guitars and mixing equipment and keyboards and percussion instruments and every other kind of musical accoutrement, including a whole wall full of accordions, it was pretty obvious this place catered to the Latin music community.  I really enjoyed wandering around and soaking up the flavor.  


I headed back outside and strolled down a couple of blocks, until I got stopped by roadblocks and a bunch of guys with walkie-talkies, and loads and loads of equipment.  What was going on?  But, of course!  This being L.A., I had stumbled upon a film set!  This whole entourage was in the process of filming an Acura commercial.  I stood around, chatted with a couple of bystanders and watched cameras roll and confetti shower while the actors and actresses strolled with studied casualness down the street, Acura idling in the background.  Over and over and over again.  Note to self: Hollywood career is NOT on the bucket list.  (I'd rather not wither of sheer boredom.)  It was pretty cool to see the footage that is projected into millions of homes all across America in the process of being created, though.  


It wasn't long before I had my fill of that scene and moved on a couple of blocks, through a little farmer's market, and came out onto another street, where I ran smack dab into some sort of parade!  I'm not entirely certain of the reason, but based upon the costumes, floats and participants, it was some sort of Hispanic pride event.  Ladies in bright costumes danced in the street while cars sporting the flags of El Salvador, Mexico, Ecuador and others rolled by.  I absolutely had a blast - it was positively festive, with everybody cheerful and friendly; it felt like a party!  


I had felt the urge to find a church to attend but hadn't had any luck finding something online that looked like a service I would enjoy, so I had decided to go volunteer at a Children's Arts Festival in downtown Hollywood.  (When I travel alone, I tend to spectate a lot.  I love observing the world around me, but it can be easy to go days with no more substantial interaction than one might have with one's waiter or hostess, or passing pleasantries with the person standing in line at the ticket counter.  I'm working on changing that; half the benefit of travel is getting to know other people, but one has to work to go beyond polite generalities in passing.  This trip, I wanted to do something that required a little more mixing than I'm accustomed to.)  Anyway, while I was downtown, I got wind of a church in Hollywood that might be just what I was looking for - young, hip, racially-mixed creative types, spirit-filled and preaching a positive message.  (That was important - it's hard for me to say Amen to something I don't agree with.)  I decided on the spot to go, and thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it.  I was warmly greeted and made to feel right at home, and let's face it, wherever a person is, to gather with fellow believers and lift up the name of Jesus in sweet fellowship is the greatest joy there is.  I was chatting with one of the girls who made me feel welcome, and we talked about the fact that when believers meet, there is an instant bond, for any person who has given their life to the Lord and is filled with his Spirit is a brother or sister, regardless of background or origin.  There are no strangers in the Body of Christ!  Needless to say, I had a wonderful time; I loved the music, and was blessed by a great message on faith.  Time well spent.  

I decided to drive around a bit after church.  I don't exactly admire Hollywood and everything it stands for, so I wasn't quite starstruck to find myself there.  That being said, I was already there and had some time to kill, so why not cruise around and see what there is to see?  I drove Melrose Drive, Beverly Hills, Sunset Boulevard and Hollywood Boulevard (yes, I caught a glimpse of the famous sign).  I saw lots of fancy stores and swanky hotels and limos.  I left with the impression that this must be the pinnacle of what towns like Gatlinburg, Tennessee strive to attain.  Wall-to-wall stores and attractions and entertainment - anything to pick the pockets of the masses.  Blah.  Next.

Before I headed back to the hotel, though, I decided to grab dinner at Pizzeria Mozza.  (I had always wanted to eat there, and being I was in the neighborhood...)  I was seated at the bar facing the prep area, and promptly entered hog heaven again.  While I waited for my squash blossom-burrata pizza, I snacked on grissini (long, skinny breadsticks) and watched the hum of the kitchen play out right in front of me.  Each prep cook had his task - tossing pizza dough, topping, manning the wood-fire grill and finishing; each worked with mechanical precision and efficiency, and I was enthralled.  My pizza arrived, hot and blistered and tasting of the peppery olive oil it was drizzled with (I watched him do it), and every bite was delicious.  This was a pretty splurgy meal, so I decided to go for it and order the butterscotch budino (pudding) with caramel sauce, Maldon sea salt and rosemary-pine nut cookies.  Uttlerly sublime - honestly, even better than the pizza.  (It gets embarrassing sometimes, this infatuation with good food.)





Satisfied, I headed back to my hotel, with the intention of knocking out paperwork.  Tomorrow, the real purpose of my journey begins - I go to work.  Silver lining - more human interaction!  Yesss!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You definitely know how to pack it all in a day! Can't wait to hear more about your trip in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting to journey with you in your vivid description of great new adventures!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete