Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Kopi Jahe

I've got a long night of homework tonight and I need some fuel.  I was reading Saveur earlier today, and ran across this description of an Indonesian coffee drink called Kopi Jahe.  Saveur described it this way: "In Indonesia, coffee drinkers partake in a heady infusion of fresh ginger, cloves, and other spices brewed with sugar and ground coffee to produce kopi jahe. The warm, stimulating combination both soothes and invigorates."

I was intrigued.  Not only do I love fresh ginger, cloves and other spices; but with a 3-inch thick calculus textbook staring me in the face, I could use some soothing and invigorating.  I did some web research and decided to tweak a couple of methods based upon what I had on hand.


I started with a 3-inch piece of ginger root, about five cloves, a cinnamon stick, two tablespoons of brown sugar and a 1/4 cup of coarse-ground coffee.  Some versions I found called for a piece of lemongrass and some pandanus leaves (whatever those are) as well as palm sugar; I didn't have that stuff, so I adapted.  One recipe called for broiling the piece of ginger until it was dark brown.  I thought that sounded kind of cool so I popped it into my toaster oven and set it to broil; after 10 minutes, nothing much had happened in terms of browning, so I pulled it out and continued.  Basically, the toaster oven heated it up; I have no idea if it had any impact.  In any case, I peeled it, smashed it with my hand, and tossed it into a saucepan with the sugar, cloves and cinnamon and a generous two cups of water.


I heated this to boiling and then let it simmer for about seven minutes, at which point I poured the mixture (spices and all) into my French press coffeepot, which contained the coffee.  I gave it a good stir and let it steep for about five minutes.  


Press, pour, add a little milk and taste.  The verdict?  Deliciously warm and spicy, with a nice, gingery kick.  It was a little sweet for my taste, and next time I'd add more coffee.  But immensely satisfying.  A bowl of salty popcorn is all the accompaniment this thing needs.  (Uh huh.) 


Bring on the calculus.


Carrie's version of Kopi Jahe
(or at least the way she will make it next time)

6 Tablespoons - good quality coarse-ground coffee
1 Tablespoon - brown sugar
1 - 3-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and smashed
6 - cloves
1 - cinnamon stick
2 cups - water

Place coffee in French press and set aside.  Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for seven minutes.  Pour over coffee, stir once, and steep for five minutes.  Press, pour and prepare to be soothed and invigorated.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting - kind of makes my Lady Grey tea with honey sound a little -um - ordinary. :) I really wouldn't complain if you made a cup of that for me one of these days! It sounds pretty tasty! Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this is happening soon...probably tonight! And since Alex detests ginger...more for me!

    ReplyDelete