Thursday, August 8, 2013

Puerto Rico--Archives #5

The Fort of Old San Juan
Guardian of the Caribbean





















In looking through my pictures, I realized that I did not have one picture of the outside of the Fort. It was during this time, as we left the walk around the outside of the fort, and as we were ascending the long grassy slope leading up to the fort, that I was deep in conversation (text) with my oldest daughter. Nataroo, who was staying with my oldest, was having acute attacks of missing "Mother". We had been dealing with this for days. It was getting rather straining on the heart. And so, I missed the picture I should have gotten. So I offer these instead. A classic tourist picture. I would venture to say that most visitors who come here, have a similar snapshot.
Old San Juan is located on a small and narrow island which lies in the north coast, about 35 miles from the east end of Puerto Rico, and is connected to the mainland by 3 bridges. Juan Ponce de Leon founded the original settlement in 1508. The wall that surrounds Old San Juan is 42 feet high, and is quite thick if you ask me. And, bestowing my last bit of learned knowledge, Puerto Rico means "rich port" or "good port". This I found interesting.
Now before I show the pictures from the inside of the fort, let me air an observation I've made over the years.  It would seem to me that there are two completely separate groups of people. Two different camps. As in you either like cilantro, or you hate it. I haven't run across someone who was indifferent. Or like, nails on a chalk board-either it makes you want to scream, "STOP!!", or it has no effect on you. None-whats-so-ever. And as in, walking through a fort or a museum. Either you're in the camp of those who walk and look and get on with their lives, or your're in the camp of those who MUST read every bit (did I mention every bit?) of writing and history and facts displayed at every turn. Sigh. Long sigh. So, Marc and I find ourselves in different camps. The fort is cool.  If you're ever in Old San Juan, you definitely should not miss this bit of history. I especially liked the kitchen. And the picture through the rooms.  So I will close my mouth, and invite you on a tour of the Fort and the streets of Old San Juan. You may want to kick back and grab a cuppa tea, or that other beverage.... :) 

the outside wall...just look at the tree roots!




standing in the fort, looking towards San Juan
the streets of Old San Juan
and what does one do in Old San Juan? you walk and shop, and shop and walk
i would love to have a doorway such as this
and a walk way as this
And so our time in Old San Juan came to an end. It was a lovely place to visit. Well, until the cruise ships unloaded their multitudes. Wherein the streets became extremely over-crowded. But we were able to find a couple of priceless treasures, so the multitudes were overlooked, and it was a splendid day.

to be continued.....

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed your Puerto Rico tour! Very fun to see!! Kinda made me want to go there now... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete