Wednesday, June 19, 2013


GRILLED PIZZA

Grilled Pizza is a treat around here.  Technically pizza is not difficult.  It just seems to be very time consuming.  Like cleaning out the refrigerator.  Pizza takes a little forethought.  I'm usually not thinking of dinner by 2 in the afternoon...perhaps I should.  (then maybe, I wouldn't be standing in my kitchen at 5:30 racking my brain as to what to make...)
The dough is very straightforward.  Mix it in the food processor, 4-5 minutes of kneading, and set it aside

to do its thing.  For this pizza I decided to forego the normal tomato sauce and try something new (being I had a bag of cilantro and 2 pkgs. of basil hanging out in my frig.). So before returning to the office, I made this incredible pesto.

Cilantro Salsa with Basil and Mint
1 clove garlic
1/2 lg. jalapeno chile, seeds removed  (I used the whole thing)
Sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 bunch cilantro, lower stems removed
5 basil leaves (I used more.          Remember the 2 pkgs in my frig)
A sprig of mint
Put garlic, chile, 1/4 salt, and the olive oil in a mini processor and pulse to break the garlic and chile.  Add cilantro and continue to pulse, adding more olive oil if needed (I thought the 1/4 cup a little to much).  Add the basil and mint and pulse once more.  Add salt if needed.  This recipe comes from a new book that I love-Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Madison. 

Ok-so my dough is rising, my sauce (pesto) made, and I head to the office to play catch up.  As I sit down at my desk, I think, "oh yah, the onions..."  Back to the kitchen.  I used 2 vidalia onions. I sliced these and put them in a pan with olive oil, s&p and cooked on low for maybe an hour.
Later on, when in the kitchen once more, I rolled out my dough.  I think I was a little zealous here.  Ha ha.  It has quite the shape.  I brushed olive oil and s&p on the side that would lay on the grill. I grilled this for 4 minutes.  Then I spread on the pesto, onions, sauteed red pepper, sliced tomatoes (from my garden! cool!), and parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Returned this to the grill and grilled for about 5 minutes.  This crust was thin, so it really didn't need much time.  Lastly, I garnished with more sliced basil.  This pizza was GOOD!

I know, the shape....But the taste!  Because I had salted the first side that I grilled, it came through almost as its own taste.  It was pretty neat.  This was definitely worth the time invested.  See?

The second pizza was a kid pizza. :)

1 comment:

  1. Um for the record, the pesto pizza was out of this world. - Anonymous visitor.

    ReplyDelete