Thursday, June 27, 2013

POTTERY 101
CLASS 1 of 6

Miss Care has had a bee in her bonnet for some time concerning the desire to throw pottery.  She has brought it up at various times over the course of a year, and I have always just kind of snickered.  I just never gave it much consideration.  Then one day I was hard at work doing my office work I was sort of daydreaming at my desk, when the thought, "why not?".  So I turned to faithful Google, and found a place an hour (depending on who is driving) from home where we could learn (we hope anyway!) to throw pottery.  Care also had the brilliant idea to ask two more friends (one is my daughter-in-law :), and her sister) to join us.

The first step was learning to "knead" the clay, although our instructor may have called it something else.  I was a little to focused on getting some good shots!  This step was to knead out air bubbles and to draw the water from the clay.                                                  
                                                                                 


















Our next step was watching our instructor demonstrate the art of creating a mug.  I think perhaps he was a little overwhelmed by all the energy we brought to his class.  Four excited, giddy, talkative ladies can generate a lot of energy.  He spent a bit of time with his demonstration.  Perhaps to long.  He was doing a fair bit of talking himself.  He was very good at the wheel thing.  Made a very impressive mug.  We in turn were very good at oohing and aahing at all the right places.  It looks so easy watching someone........
Then he turned us loose!

 AND                 

Brianna was the first to make a mug vase!! Good Job!!  It was a very fun 2 hours. We have 5 more classes to hopefully be able to walk away with something we really like!  And so, after all that hard work, and feeling a little famished, we naturally sought out somewhere to fuel up.  Indian food was the consensus.  It was VERY GOOD!!!!


1 comment:

  1. This was such a fun night!

    Love how you included yourself as one of the 4 giddy girls ;)

    I am so looking forward to the next pottery night!

    ReplyDelete